Monday, October 21, 2013

SOMA Triathlon Race Report


My first SOMA Half was in 2008. I was 4th. Then in 2009 I raced 1.5 month after my bike accident and was 2nd. I raced again in 2010, which was a bad experience: after a very busy season I was very, very tired and came in 10th.

This was my short SOMA Triathlon history.

This year I planned to do the race as a good “training/tune up” for IRONMAN Florida. I was very happy that it was organized two weeks before the IRONMAN. Local races are the best! It's great to see so many friends and fellow triathletes! Arizona has the most supportive Tri Clubs, Tri/Bike/Run shops and Tri Community!

Lining up before the start.
The beautiful Tempe race venue.

In the morning we didn’t have too much time to warm up in the water before the pro start. In the first half of the swim I felt a little weak. But in the second half I was able to hold a nice and steady pace and finished the swim 20 seconds back to the leader trio.




Running out of T1.


After a quick transition (it was quick compared to my previous transition times) I started to chase down the leader trio, who were riding separately from each other. I passed the third, then the second place rider and rode comfortably in second place.

Pushing hard on my SwiftCarbon Neurogen.

As a preparation for IRONMAN Florida I had some important workouts this week. My legs weren’t too fresh and I just focused on keeping a steady pace behind Lewis Elliot. He was on fire! In the second loop the gap between us increased to more than 1 min. When I started the third (final) loop I also got a “friendly reminder” from my wife that I’d better pick up the pace and go for the best bike split.

I knew I couldn’t let him go. I pushed hard and caught up with him by the end of the bike. When I started to run I was in the lead but I realized that the second and third were very close behind me.

Laurel is like my "good luck charm". When she is the 1st-place-male lead bike I always win!

Then suddenly my role changed: from being a chaser I became the chased one. Because of the two-loop run course I couldn’t see how far they were behind me. I just knew that the one guy behind me was running fast (Later I found out that he was Kyle Hummel.). I didn’t want him to catch me so I ran harder. I held a 5:50 min per mile pace until the 11 mile mark when I saw that I was several minutes ahead of him. On the last few miles I just ran to finish.


It was very cool to run across the finish line in first place! It was the first time I won the SOMA Triathlon!

 

Thank you to Kimo Seymour, John Sellinger and the entire LTT Crew for organizing a great race!

It was a great opportunity to represent my local sponsors: I'm thankful to the Southwest Realty and Property Management - Arizona for sponsoring me. Thanks to DC Ranch Village Health Club and Spa for the best swim, bike, run, strength training, stretching and recovery time!

Thanks to all my sponsors and partners for their support:

ZootSwiftCarbon3TSpiuk, ISMXterra WetsuitsSergio Borges X TrainingContinentalIgnite Naturals, Sole Swim Solutions!


No comments:

Post a Comment